just your run of the mill early morning Monday rant

i apologize ahead of time if the following irritates you. welcome to my world.

so i did make general tso's chicken on friday night, after we got home late from purchasing a new washer and dryer. yes, that's where my bonus money went. and yes, we really did need the fancypants variety because the washer and dryer which came along with the house are pieces of crap. and you know you've reached a new level of wanting to kick the crap out of something when it takes 4 to 5 spins through the dryer to dry a load of clothes.

no i don't have any pictures of any of the food i made this weekend, which is a shame, because on saturday i made a cake that was amazing. chocolate bundt cake, and in the middle of the bundt hole were raspberries i'd soaked in chambord and then poured creme brulee all over. it was good. it was decadent. i ate a piece yesterday after indulging in some wings the boy made while we watched the daytona 500.

so, a lot of food was made this weekend but no pictures taken. maybe next time.

i kinda got into a bad mood yesterday, because one of our guests said someting that pissed me off. actually, i get this a lot and don't know if this is normal behavior for the rest of the world and i should just let it not irritate me anymore, and if people are just downright stupid. yesterday, one of our guests was asking me where i grew up, and i said, "Paris". and he replied, "Oh... i'm so sorry". i looked at him and thought he was kidding, and he continued, "I hate Paris. It's a horrible place. it's my least favorite city in the world. i hate it. it's too bad you had to grow up there". i didn't know what to say. it has happened to me before where guests have said curt things to me while i'm standing in my own living room, but i was still shocked. and i don't know how to react when people are that way, and i know that they're not trying to insult me as a person, but it's an insult nonetheless. later on, while i'm laying in the dark trying to fall asleep i'll think of great come-back lines i ought to have said, and kick myself for not having thought of them earlier. so i stood in my living room while someone insulted my heritage and i didn't say a word.

i understand that a lot of people have issues with france and french people and parisians being rude, and i'm going to tell you a secret. the french are rude to everyone, not just americans. people go to france with set expectations and are loud and obnoxious and expect everyone to speak english. and i'll let you in on another secret: a lot of french people DO speak english, but when they see some ornery tourist making an ass out of themselves, they'll just feed fuel to that fire. i don't blame them. perhaps i'm generalizing here. this is not the first time that someone has barked something out at me and they're ignorant about the rudimentaries of tactfulness and social graces, and frankly i'm tired of it.

anyhoo! enough about that. can you tell that i am tired and need more coffee?

normal blogging will resume later, complete with pictures.

Comments

Ashley said…
Similar yet different: My wife is from Spain so my kids are multicultural.

The thing is, they look more like me (German-Irish decent) than their mom. The resulting faux pas fall into two categories:

(i) People, oblivious to my children's maternal heritage, make broad, stereotypical comments about Latinos.

(ii) On those rare occasions when I may choose to enlighten them that the mother of my children is from Spain, they inevitably try to make reference to "someone they know who's also Mexican".

Dang it all, People, Spain is in EUROPE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Regards,
Ashley Miller
www.ashleymiller.net
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Popular Posts