on rum raisin ice cream


I have a love affair with rum raisin ice cream.

My cousin Amy introduced me to it (she was technically my step-second-cousin, my mom’s cousin’s stepdaughter who was from Wisconsin Rapids). Soon after my mom’s cousin married her American husband, he brought his daughter over to visit them at their villa in the South of France. She was a year older than me, but man did she look 25 or what? I was 15 at the time and was very awkward, very immature in both looks and personality, and I was in awe of this 16 year old chick who not only had the bod but the attitude of a 25 year old. I idolized her.

ice cream vendors along the beach resort where my mom’s family live sell rum raisin ice cream. Amy got hooked on it, so, of course, I did too. And every time I went for a visit to family, I always had it. it’s the only place in the world where I ever saw it, so I developed a long-standing romantic idea of it.

I guess I’m going to get a lot of shit for saying I ate the hell out of some rum raisin ice cream when I was a teenager, because lets face it. it does have rum (just a little), but if you’re eating cone after cone of it on a hot summer day, yeah, you’ll get a buzz, especially for a lightweight 15 year old. But this is France. At that age, one is able to order drinks in a bar. Life and mentality is different in Europe. French kids don’t look forward to the weekend kegger because they just got back from lunch at the Tex-Mex place around the corner from school on rue de Ponthieu and downed two long island ice teas before Math class. I love Math (although I was never any good at it) and it’s even more fascinating after two long island ice teas.

So anyway, to make a long story short, I was so very pleased when I saw David Lebovitz has a recipe for rum raisin ice cream in The Perfect Scoop. and if you've got an ice cream maker collecting dust in your closet and you don't own this book yet, you really ought to do yourself a favor and go out and buy it.


I followed the recipe exactly, though with a few minor changes. Namely, I don’t have dark rum in the house. So I used a mixture of Nassau Royale, Captain Morgan’s, and 151. and I will tell you right now that you will have to use more raisins than he calls for because I kept picking at them all day. Those little babies get so hydrated with rum, and they are the Best. Thing. Ever. Every time I walked by the dish, I’d pick one or two out. J was over, and I made him taste one, but he made a face and said, “I don’t like rum”. Well I don’t like rum either, in the way that I’m not doing shots of it because that’s just gross. but rum soaked fruit? ho yeah. But the charm of it all was lost on him. Boys. Sheesh.

While the ice cream was freezing, I couldn’t keep my spoon out of it. it’s honestly the best ice cream I’ve ever had, ever ever ever. So yeah, i have romanticized it and idealized it in my own head, so I don’t expect this to be everyone’s idea of the best ice cream ever. To me, this ice cream is just as good as sex. YES! I have a container of sex in my freezer!

Again, I’m not sure of the copyright laws of this, and I’m probably breaking every rule. But I mean well, I mean, I just told you that this ice cream is as good as sex, so you know you’re going to want to try it, right? I just hope you love it as much as I do.

recipe removed because i'm starting to feel badly about having posted it.

P.S. you really have to like raisins to actually enjoy this ice cream. if you don't like raisins, then you just won't get it.

Comments

Ashley said…
Went back home this weekend and my dear ol' Dad made home-made ice cream. It was vanilla but apparently he has become quite the ice cream afficiando with recent flavors of lemon and peach. I will make sure to share your recipe with him for my next visit. Thanks!

Ashley Miller
www.ashleymiller.net
french tart said…
as long as he's willing to share his peach ice cream recipe. my Southern grandmother always had some in her freezer, is that a typical Southern thing? i would kind of assume so since we live in the peach state and work on peachtree street. yeah.. i need coffee.

just promise me you won't tell your dad that i think that ice cream is as good as sex. cos that's kind of embarrassing and all. :)

Popular Posts