Wednesday, December 5, 2007

MEME on you

I got tagged by Ann. and now you got meme tagged too.

I always enjoy these kind of meme tags because I like to write about myself. not because i'm an egotistical beotch, but because I like to remember things in my past. I recently wrote that I love to daydream, and man do I have that down to an artform. Daydreaming and reflecting on memories got me through Architectural Theory and Criticism in college. I thought i'd love the class, but the professor was a hard-ass and took all the fun right out of architecture.

What were you cooking/baking ten years ago?

Uh. let's see. this very month ten years ago, I was on a school break staying with my parents and working at Macy's. A woman I worked with had a Meyer lemon tree in her yard, and she gave me a huge paper bag full of lemons. I made a lemon tart with them. But the rest of that year, I lived on beans and rice, beans and rice, beans and rice. Hey, I was a poor college student.


What were you cooking/baking one year ago?


We were eating a lot of roast chickens last winter.


Five snacks you enjoy:


i absolutely adore Blue Diamond wasabi and soy almonds. i've eaten a whole can in 5 minutes and been very upset when i finished them. I also enjoy standing at the fridge with the doors open stealing pieces of cheese from the cheese drawer (we have a cheese drawer in the new fridge). Pistachios (not shelled - I like to put them whole into my mouth and then spit out the shells - classy!). Peanut butter on saltines - reminds me of childhood. Popcorn with hot sauce splashed all over it. i'm throwing in a 6th here; i love Utz brand potato chips, but those are a Pennsylvania/Maryland thing. Can't find them here.


Five recipes you know by heart:

Roast chicken. Rice Pilaf. How to make a good cup of coffee. Dauphinois potatoes (you don't need a recipe for that). Salad dressing.


Five culinary luxuries you would indulge in if you were a millionaire:

I would hire a gardener to keep track of the lovely and fantastic herb and veggie garden i'd have.
I would definitely have a bigger stove, 6 to 8 gas burners, with electric oven.
while we're at it, how about a walk-in fridge? oooh, and matching freezer!
and i would totally hire help to clean up after me.


Five foods you love to cook/bake:


Roast chicken.
Ice cream.
bread of any kind (because to me there is nothing better than the smell of bread baking).
pizza (same as the bread thing, love the smell of pizza dough baking on the stone)
fried eggs. i don't eat them often enough.


Five things you cannot/will not eat:


hmm. this is a hard one.

i don't think i'd eat one of those Thousand Year Old eggs.

and i don' t like kimchee that is overly fish saucy.

from my youth, my mom would buy andouillette from the butcher near her childhood home and haul it back to Paris, and the smell repulsed me enough to never want to eat it. but i tried some on my last trip to France, and I admit that the smell is much worse than the taste. I could eat it again, but make the executive decision not to.

Scrapple. Although I will eat the hell out of some pork roll. I guess that's a Northern thing; picked that up when we lived in Baltimore.

I can't think of a fifth.


Five favorite culinary toys:


a tiny little Nigella Lawson whisk
sugar cube tongs
pizza stone
suede oven mitts
the Boat Motor (stick blender)

Tagged are Carolina Girl, and my buddies Mrs B, Nathan, and Ashley (even though they don't have food blogs); and I humbly understand if you just don't feel like participating. Just poop on my parade, will ya.

and if you weren't tagged yet want to participate, well by all means do so.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Nice to get to know you a little better. :-)

Ann at Redacted Recipes