on local butter


So I just got back from picking up my share at the farm. This week, I’ve plenty of greens, radishes, turnips, and strawberries to keep me eating well. I’m supplementing this with some produce and dairy Mrs. B got for me from Moore Farms and Friends, which she recently joined. She gave me some enormous fennel and swiss chard. I shall eat well this week.

From Moore Farms, I also got a brick of butter (it’s literally a brick) from Sparkman's Cream Valley; and when Mrs B brought it over to me, I was both excited and apprehensive. I don’t want to use this butter up in ways that would not let me appreciate it. When I mentioned to the boy that I didn’t want to use it for baking or frying eggs, he said, “But wouldn’t those be the best damn fried eggs you’ve ever had?” , and I have to agree that they probably would be. The butter has been sitting in the fridge all week, and every time I open the door to root around, it stares back at me, daring me to use it.
The first thing I did when I got back from the CSA today was to clean the veg. the radishes needed a thorough wash and trim of their greens. I was standing at the sink looking at them, all nicely variegated red, and decided that I needed a taste. That’s when I realized I could use the butter without any guilt of using it up for something unworthy. A dab of butter, a sprinkle of salt, and I had a really great breakfast.

So what does the butter taste like? I’m going to try to describe this, but I’ll probably to a piss poor job at that. I took a wine tasting class a couple of years ago, and was probably the worst student (although I will admit I was a damn entertaining student, especially during the South African wine class – I don’t know if it was me or what, but I really disliked each S.A. wine we sampled, and was not afraid of expressing my opinion, much to the amusement of the entire class). The whole class would go on about nose and bouquet and terroir and berries and fruitiness, and my own descriptions were pretty dismal. Anyway – back to the butter – I opened the package and if I’d been blindfolded, I would swear I was smelling cheese. It smells not unlike an unripe camembert, left to sit out for a few days until it would get more pungent and yummarific, ready to slap onto some good crusty bread. But it doesn’t taste anything like unripe cheese. In fact, let me go shave off a piece and let it melt in my mouth for inspiration.



Okay, back. It definitely has a cheese-like taste, and is unbelievably creamy. It tastes happy, and it makes me happy. I know I know, very poor description. But I can almost sense that this came from a happy cow who was left out to lollygag her way across a field, slowly munching on greenery. I can almost taste fresh grass; but that could also be a figment of my imagination, since I can literally see the cow’s face in front of me, while her tail swats at the flies and gnats on her backside.

So to make a long ridiculous unworthy description short, if you live around Atlanta, get yourself to the Moore site or drive down to South Georgia to pick yourself up some Happy Cow Butter. I might just have to make myself some hot buttered toast here in a minute, before Mrs B comes over and we rush off to buy the fixin’s for tomorrow’s Low Country boil.

UPDATE:
if you're in Atlanta yet don't feel like ordering the butter from Moore Farms, you're in luck. you can find it at:

Whole Foods / Briarcliff
Whole Foods / Ponce de Leon
Whole Foods / West Paces Ferry
Whole Foods / Sandy Springs
Sevananda
Whole Foods / Duluth

and if you're not in Atlanta yet live in the South, there are still a few places this can be found. Look here.

Comments

Popular Posts