Wednesday, May 28, 2008

so what did you eat this past weekend?

we had:

Mrs. B’s Low Country boil


Our friend Ken’s smoked rack of ribs and pork butt


The boy’s fried turkey


We did our celebrating on Sunday at Ken and M.A.’s house, some new friends of ours. They live one neighborhood over and have a great back deck area. Food preparation started the night before, with the boy using his new injector kit to “marinate” his 12-pound turkey. He didn’t bother to use the jar of marinade that came with the kit (first ingredient: water. Second ingredient: corn syrup. I don’t think so), so opted to use an Emeril recipe instead, which worked out well. He patted the turkey all over with a mix of salt, cayenne, and black pepper, put it into a food-grade bag then an ice-filled cooler overnight.



turkey injecting liquid (adapted from Emeril Lagasse)

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup apple cider
3/4 cup honey
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer (we used a can of Miller Lite)
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1/2 cup Creole Seasoning **
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Pinch ground cloves

** make your own! No need to spend 4 bucks at the store for a can of Emeril’s bammage.

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme


The next morning, I crawled out of bed miserable with a hangover (I ain’t got no one to blame but myself) because I had some prep to do. First off, I needed to make the rub for Ken’s ribs (Ken and M.A. don’t cook, don’t have a lot of spices handy in their kitchen, and were grateful for any help we could provide).

The rub (this was for a small amount of ribs, so adapt accordingly)

¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon (or so, I have a heavy hand) cayenne pepper

(I’m going off of memory here, so I’ll probably revise this later today when I am on the home computer)


The boy ran this down to Ken’s house so that he could season his ribs before placing in the smoker, while I went back to bed for a short while. Later, I made French onion dip and a dill cream sauce for smoked salmon. I know I know, smoked salmon you say? It has no place in Memorial Day food, you say? I made these recently and M.A. loved them, so I figured I’d make them again. They’re easy and crowd pleasing (we had these at our wedding, so I know this for a fact).



One package of smoked salmon (you may not use the whole thing, depending on how many people show up to your shindig)
a couple of thin baguettes
½ cup sour cream
1 cucumber
1 lemon
Dill
White pepper

Peel and seed the cucumber and cut into chunks. Toss in the food processor or blender until thoroughly blitzed. Dunk this into a fine sieve and let the extra cucumber liquid drain away. Add a spoonful at a time to a half cup or so of sour cream, ensuring that the mixture stays creamy and not too thin. Squeeze in some lemon juice, add a lot of chopped dill (about a ¼ cup) and some white pepper. Taste as you go – does it have enough dill? Enough tang from the lemon juice? Cover and chill until ready to use.

Slice the baguette into really thin rounds and toast the rounds on both sides. Top with a piece of smoked salmon and a dollop of the dill cream sauce, and serve on a big platter.


Later, when we got to Ken’s house, the boy stood and marveled at Ken’s electric smoker, then decided he wanted one. I told him to do some homework on it and “then we’ll talk”. anyone have any advice on smokers?

No comments: