Thursday, November 20, 2008

T-Day minus 7



I was going to post about my Dad’s stuffing, but I left the darn recipe at home (and home is not where I am currently). But I will instead talk about the #1 tradition that the boy and I indulge in every Thanksgiving since we’ve been together.

Behold the nutty Irishman. I cannot think of a better way to wake up on Thanksgiving morning. There have been countless Thanksgivings where I woke up in a panic due to all the things that needed to get done before guests arrive. The boy and I decided, Enough of that. So here goes:

1. While still in pajamas and still with bedhead, make a pot of coffee.

2. While coffee is brewing, make whipped cream {do you need a recipe for this? Okay. If it’s just the two of you, put ½ cup (or however much you want, adjust for more) of heavy whipping cream in a bowl – don’t you dare buy fat free! Today is not the day for fat free anything! – and with a hand held electric beater, beat until almost stiff peaks form. Don’t have a hand held mixer? Get a whisk and start whisking, and I take my hat off to you. I don’t have patience or arm muscles for that. I have the skills, but what it all boils down to is that I don’t feel like wasting that much energy first thing in the morning. When you’ve nearly reached stiff peaks, add a tablespoon or two of granulated sugar (sweeten to your taste) and a drop or so of vanilla extract. Beat a little more, and voila. Whipped cream}.

You could go the easy way out and get (I shudder even typing this - Cool Whip or the Readi Whip, canisters used by all the kids to get high off of), but why deny yourself one of the good things in life? Homemade whipped cream takes mere minutes to make and tastes infinitely better than anything you can buy ready made from the store.

3. Next! Get some big mugs. Pour coffee into mugs and leave some room at the top (1 ½ to 2 inches should do it). Add a shot of Baileys Irish Cream. Add a shot of Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur). Stir. Add a couple of tablespoons of your fancified whipped cream on top. Park your butt on the couch in front of the Macy Day Parade and make fun of the Rockettes kicking their little hearts out in the chilling New York cold.

After one (or sometimes two) of these, the day seems so much smoother. The panic from earlier? What panic?

2 comments:

foodvox said...

Fabulous idea!

Never thought of the Macy's Day Parade part but it definitely adds an extra touch of savor. :)

NDM said...

you are my hero...