i'd kill to eat something with texture right now.


so I’m over three quarters of the way through a 24-hour juice fast, and all I can think about are hard boiled eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches, and goat cheese. actually, any cheese for that matter. The reasons I’m doing the juice fast are fairly simple: a) I wanted to see if I could actually do it, and b) it’s supposed to be good for you since it gives your digestive system a break. Some people do multi-day or multi-week juice fasts, and frankly I don’t know how they do it. I’m not hungry or anything right now; but I just want to masticate some food. It’s all a mental thing.

Since yesterday, every time I’ve opened the fridge I’m confronted with a slowly dwindling jar of fig preserves that I recently made. I totally missed fig season last year and it bummed me out bigtime as I’d seen a fig jam recipe in an old Food & Wine magazine that I was itching to try. I managed to snatch up some figs this year and I’m glad I did because this jam is good; but it’s even better used as a spread on bread which has been topped with other things (I’m thinking a nice few thin slices of prosciutto would be good here). I love to spread some toasted baguette slices with a honeyed goat cheese and add a good dollop of the fig jam. I have to tell you, it’s heaven.

I thought the figs I bought were Calimyrna but after further research they may be from the Brown Turkey variety. At any rate, they are really beautiful and I did eat a big handful of them, just ripped them up into pieces and ate them. I’m not a big fan of biting into them directly as I’m afraid I’ll end up biting into a wasp, but that too is a mental thing I’ll just have to get over.


It’s taking all my willpower not to lick my computer screen right now. I may just go open up the jar of fig jam and take a nice long whiff of it before settling for some coconut juice for lunch. Oh, the sacrifices I make for my body.

Fig Jam with White Port and Rosemary - adapted from Food & Wine magazine, September 2009 issue

makes 1 and 3/4 cups of jam

  • 1 lb figs, stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup white port wine
  • Sprig of fresh rosemary

1. Mix the fig pieces with the sugar in a saucepan and let stand for 15 minutes, stirring every so often until the sugar is mostly dissolved and the figs seem to give off some juice.

2. Add the lemon juice, port, and rosemary and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.

3. Turn the heat down and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is soft and the liquid seems to have thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes longer.

4. Turn the heat off and add the jam to a glass mason jar.  screw on the top loosely and let cool completely before adjusting the lid and screwing it on all the way and storing in the fridge.

Comments

Popular Posts